It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:05 am

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: DNX5140 will not update firmware from v2.5.1 :!:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:52 am 

Hi All,

I need to update the 5140 firmware and then the nav software (in that order) to install the 2011 maps. I burn the correct firmware file (k08v5_update_78dfd438_3.2.0.ruf) to a disk and the unit reads the disk, but does nothing other than continually display "reading..." on the DVD MEDIA screen.

Kenwood support (really?) has so far been useless, giving me the same instructions already posted online for the update. It makes no difference what disk media I use, or what computer OS the burner is run on. Flash drive is not an option according to the instructions.

The disk created is a data disk, and is finalized before ejecting. It's also decompressed and not the .zip download - and is copied as the file only (not in the v3.2.0 folder). Making an "audio disk" doesn't work as I get a read error. Everything I'm doing matches the instructions.

Their "solution" is for me to spend $100 on a third-party (Nero) burning software - which is not the issue... That would have the same result except they might get a kick-back from Nero. Their reply is poor and it took a few emails for the customer service rep to STILL NOT UNDERSTAND the issue. Arrrgh. :x

I've burned through many discs and nothing works. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I even tried a trial version of Nero to no solution.

Thanks, Dave

Post subject: Re: DNX5140 will not update firmware from v2.5.1 :!:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:16 pm 

Hi,

I have a similar problem with my dnx 6140. I read that the media disc should be CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW NOT CD+R/RW or DVD+R/RW. It didnt do anything for me but i just hope it ll help u.

My problem is that the disc automatically starts the update but it only shows "firmware update" and it wont do anything else.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:59 pm 

I'm having issues updating my 5140 as well... but I'm getting the same FIRMWARE UPDATE as Tomas. I used a DVD+RW. Anyone else with problems and or a fix?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 8:32 am 

Well Kenwood Mods.... It's been a while sinice creating this post. Others have the same issue... Care to comment?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:30 am 

The quickest and easiest way is to slide your unit out so you can access the back. There is a mini usb back there. Use any generic mini usb cord that fits ( cell phone - computer charger cable ). Set a laptop up in the vehicle and with the unit on plug the other end of the usb cord into the laptop. your unit will ask ( Garmin or Mass storage mode ) you want the mass storage mode. The computer will automatically recognize and download the needed driver. You then go to your computer folder and select the garmin folder. If you have already downloaded the update you just drag and drop it into the garmin folder. Once it is done transferring. unplug the cord and your unit will recognize the software in its database and begin to perform the update. I will post pictures of the process shortly. Trust me on this one I tried everything under the sun this was the only method that i could get to work. And all kenwood had to offer was to take the unit out and ship it to Virginia.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 9:39 am 

Thanks Jl,

Will try that. Yes, Kenwood also told me to ship to their nearest service center. Problem with that is I have found posts online stating their reply is to replace pc boards for around $500. What they don't tell you is (probably) is that your boards are not "bad"... But the replacements have the updated software on them.

Kenwood is really doing a disservice to their customers on already very expensive units.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:12 pm 

Has there been a fix for this? I'm having trouble also with updating the 5140 firmware. I've tried multiple types of media (cd, dvd, usb) and nothing. If I put a cd in, I get 'disc error' no matter what type/brand I use. I tried the suggestion that jl said with the usb, but my laptop doesn't recognize the 5140. Kenwood was no help. Says it's the unit. Very frustrated.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]