It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:04 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: So I bought a new DNN990
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:10 am 

I have to say that this is far better than the 9990HD unit I replaced.

It is faster, the graphics are far better and it just flows better.

Now I have only limited time with it but will post more as I get more into it.

So far:

It must be running a version of Android as it has 3 Live Wallpapers as well as the 3 themes.

3D buildings are back

I tethered my iPhone to it and it works really well, live weather and traffic. I have not set up FB, email or twitter. I may never as its just easier on a phone.

The speed is very noticeable in scrolling through every music format.

I tried changing the splash screen and was unsuccessful with the 990HD method.

That's it for now but I really like the effort Kenwood did on this unit. It's unfortunate they will not release this software like Pioneer does for the previous generation. They claim it's all new and optimized for this engine and hardware.

Post subject: Re: So I bought a new DNN990
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:20 pm 

Looks good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYpAKQxJpDs

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:47 pm 

Very cool. I am thinking of replacing my one year old 9990HD when these become available as refurbs from Fleabay. I need to found out what the subscription to the Kenwood servers cost. I hear they only give you 2 years with a new radio, don't know how it will work with a refurb.

Android based which accounts for the speed. Hopefully it will be rooted very soon!

I would like to get any feedback on these issues:

• If you load your own POI for red-light cameras, does the unit just "beep" when approaching the POI or did Kenwood put back support for voice alerts in 2013?
  • How well does the unit interface with Android, in particular with Jelly Bean 4.1 or 4.2?
  • Does Kenwood 2013 model support Bluetooth v 4.0 finally or just the old obsolete BT spec so it won't work well with modern phones?
  • How well does the Kenwood support reading via voice email, SMS and interface to voice dialing on Android?
  • If you had an older Kenwood, what features did Kenwood silently remove?
  • Any of the published features Vaporware?
  • Your general opinion of this high end unit.
  • Is the internal "disk" still locked down or did kenwood put back the mini-usb port in the back of the unit to allow PC's access to the internal SD-Card like they were before the 2012 model year?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 4:46 pm 

Just replaced my DNX9980HD tuesday with the new DNN990HD. Great swap. Kenwood and my dealer replaced it for me becuase of all the GPS issues on the 9980HD.So far looks great. Trying to figure where to install custom POI's. Also looks like it doesnt save the password for user accounts.Had to upgrade my SCC1 to V200,so you do get extra channels with Sirius.They are finally merged. :) Will take me a while to figure this out.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:42 pm 

rugbydiesel wrote:
Just replaced my DNX9980HD tuesday with the new DNN990HD. Great swap. Kenwood and my dealer replaced it for me becuase of all the GPS issues on the 9980HD.So far looks great. Trying to figure where to install custom POI's. Also looks like it doesnt save the password for user accounts.Had to upgrade my SCC1 to V200,so you do get extra channels with Sirius.They are finally merged. :) Will take me a while to figure this out.

To save your password just check " auto log-in" and your done. My two gripes so far are : It takes a long time to boot because of the wifi portion ( finding signal from your phone and loading weather etc" and the other is not being able to change the splash screen. I tried again today using the 9990 method and nothing.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:57 pm 

kenwood just told me to check the auto login,which I have had checked. They said maybe a software gliche, so to reset unit to get to take the password.soI dont have to enter password. Also the long bootup time, They said since it runs android operating system and wifi and suuch, will take a minute to boot up or so. How do you enter custom POI's. Thats what I want to know.like redlight cameras,state parks, etc.The maps look cool with the terrain of the land on them. Overall im impressed.If you own one,must deal with long start up time.

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm 

rugbydiesel wrote:
kenwood just told me to check the auto login,which I have had checked. They said maybe a software gliche, so to reset unit to get to take the password.soI dont have to enter password. Also the long bootup time, They said since it runs android operating system and wifi and suuch, will take a minute to boot up or so. How do you enter custom POI's. Thats what I want to know.like redlight cameras,state parks, etc.The maps look cool with the terrain of the land on them. Overall im impressed.If you own one,must deal with long start up time.

Sorry can't help you. Custom POIs are not a concern to me, read the manual, there is a whole section on it.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]