It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:22 am

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Iphone 5
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:06 pm 

Same here. I ordered several adapters from eBay supposedly coming 9/29.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:32 pm 

Calls work fine when paired to my Kenwood Excelon DNX6990HD but music controls through Bluetooth is not fully functional. I can make and answer calls on the on screen display on the Kenwood, but when it comes to music, there is no Track Info, and I can't skip, pause, play, or use any of the onscreen controls! When I use my iPhone 4S with iOS6, I have no problems.

Hopefully Kenwood will come out with an update. It's really frustrating since I have to wait and pay for the $30 adaptor to use in my car and now I'm not certain if I'm going to run into the same issue.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 6:51 pm 

Not apparently restricted to iphone 5. Using iphone 4s with ios6: Will not connect over USB. Connects and disconnects repeatedly. Occasionally stops with "Authorization Error".

Anyone find a workaround?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:45 pm 

rpedde wrote:
Not apparently restricted to iphone 5. Using iphone 4s with ios6: Will not connect over USB. Connects and disconnects repeatedly. Occasionally stops with "Authorization Error".

Anyone find a workaround?

Thats interesting....I had been using IOS 6 beta 4 for atleast the last 3 weeks and never saw any problems. I didn't for the few days I had the official release either. That was on an iPhone 4 but the way it acted with the iPhone 5 made me think software problem.....I'm not certain what hardware wise between 4 and 4s/now 5 would allow the software of IOS 6 to work with 4 but not with 4s/5. Interesting....anyone else have this problem with any iPhone or iPod running ios 6?

Ultimatly, I think it boils down to Kenwood will need to tweak their settings for IOS 6. If in fact it is causing wide issues o the 4s, given that is a previously supported phone, they need to get on the ball. IOS 6 has been available to them for some time now. If its an iphone 5 issue alone, (given the adaptor iissues and such) I'll give them a pass and understand if it takes some time. But like I say, IOS 6 has been avialable to any developers since June, I beleive. No excuses to not have been ready for this....the resolution thing with the new iPhone, yea....but not ready for interface issues, no excuses....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:46 pm 
Site Moderator

Guys be advised that even if the dock connector adapter works it will only work for audio but not video. Apple will be releasing a Lightning to HDMI cable and that will be the future with head units from here on out. That of course will never be possible with any of the current units and likely even the ones currently being tested for 2013. You guys just need to prepare for no compatibility with i5 for a while and no video for at least a year or longer.

I'm a Mac, you're a PC!!! 8-)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:23 pm 

I almost never use video, just iPod music and Pandora but I want to be able to control the unit like now.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:09 pm 

I have a workaround that is not perfect but works to at least use the phone and pandora no video
on the kenwood adapter i unplugged the audio in plug and plugged in a male male adapter from there to the head phone jack on my phone. music plays as it should you just control everything through the phone. i tried connecting to the usb adapter but did not work for me to get audio. I am now using the usb adapter with my lightning usb cord to charge the phone. the one good thing about having both ports on the bottom now is it makes things allot cleaner. maybe some have already though about doing this just thought id share

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:47 am 

^I have an XM radio attached to AUX 1 that way.

For now I will use my iPhone 4 for iPod (leaving it in the car) but as it is deactivated no Pandora for me.

I sent this email to Kenwood Friday:

SUBJECT: Kenwood Store Contact

comments: I have a DNX9980HD and just got an iPhone 5. Do you know if/when Kenwood will release a cable for the new phone? Thanks

I just got this response.

parts <parts@kenwoodparts.com>
Re: Kenwoord Store Website Inquiry

sorry but there are no plans for a cable for that phone at this time.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:10 pm 

I apologize. Given my history with new car stereos. I will wait to buy something. I finally by it and something happens where the technology is out of date and a feature I actually bought the stereo for will stop working. So I think this is my fault. ;)

I have gotten burned in the past with the IOS changing. Last year when they updated the IOS the video feature on my stereo stopped working. I am waiting to see how well things worked with IOS 6 before I move forward. But it looks like if I upgrade to an iphone 5 I will not be able to physically connect it to the stereo like I was able to with my iphone 4.

While it will have an adapter it does sound like the video options will not work. I am just waiting for someone to confirm that.

However there may be some good news. I jailbreak my phone and use an app that turns my iphone into a wifi hotspot. I have an ipod touch and I put Pandora, AHA, Netflix and Hulu on that. When sharing the wifi it actually works pretty well. And depending if they update the "wifi" app in Cydia. I should be able to put this on my iphone 5 and it will actually be a faster connection.

I would strongly suggest to backup the firmware on the ipod or iphone before upgrading to IOS6. You dont have to jailbreak the device to do so. You can google on how to do it but I think it is worth it. That way if IOS 6 does not work. You can always go back if you want to. When IOS 5 came out I did not back up the firmware. And I regreted it ever since. Especially when the "video" option stopped working on my stereo at the time.

It is not the best solution but it may work for some people.

Dave

Post subject: Iphone 5
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:39 pm 

You dont need to jail break to allow tethering well at least with Verizon you don't.

Page 2 of 4 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next