It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




 Page 3 of 15 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:46 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:23 pm
Posts: 50
Agoattamer wrote:
2012.40 are out now and 2013.10 should be arriving soon. Was curious about the files it was giving you. P? No ASR/ASX files for voice recognition?


So far I have not been able to use the official map update I paid for from Garmin. The loader does not work. It always fails the last step: "Installing Maps" claiming that it does not know where to put them.... yet, it found the SD card... Complete waste and Garmin support has not been helpful.

I am running 2012.30 right now. Any news on the latest maps?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 am
Posts: 1353
Whenever I see they are released I will have them posted to the forum.



_________________
DNX9960
2004 Chevy Avalanche

Buy me a Beer Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:51 pm 

Joined: Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:54 am
Posts: 56
Has anyone made the new official garmin map update work? If so are thr junction views as good as the 12.30 and 12.40 maps that r out? It might be my deck but after useing the 12.40 maps I began to notice random restarts. i have done the firmware updates and now have the original 2011 map up. I really like the 1212.40 over the 1211.10.

PS. I got my deck back from kenwood svc. west and they could not find a problem. They also did not know about the firmware updates from kenwood and garmin. The first tech I spoke with before I shipped the deck out said i was the third DNX 9980 owner to complain about the random restarts.The next guy i spoke to about progress of repair said there had been no issues. if you need sevice you might try kenwood svc. east. So far I have had no restarts over the last three days so I hope the firmware updates helped!


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 5:37 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 46
recon wrote:
Has anyone made the new official garmin map update work? If so are thr junction views as good as the 12.30 and 12.40 maps that r out? It might be my deck but after useing the 12.40 maps I began to notice random restarts. i have done the firmware updates and now have the original 2011 map up. I really like the 1212.40 over the 1211.10.

PS. I got my deck back from kenwood svc. west and they could not find a problem. They also did not know about the firmware updates from kenwood and garmin. The first tech I spoke with before I shipped the deck out said i was the third DNX 9980 owner to complain about the random restarts.The next guy i spoke to about progress of repair said there had been no issues. if you need sevice you might try kenwood svc. east. So far I have had no restarts over the last three days so I hope the firmware updates helped!


Now, I get random restart for the navigation. By that, I mean, you'll see the navigation portion restart itself, even though the main unit is still playing music. But, it seems to only occur with my SD card in. I don't know if it's because its doing it from accessing the card or maybe because I left the garmin firmware update on the card (I keep forgetting to "clean out" the card).


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 6:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:02 am
Posts: 1353
Get that Garmin firmware update off the card as that may be causing issues. But if you are having issues and you are using maps from the sd card then the card is most likely the cause. Even with the 9960, using the official map update and non official ;) on a sd card have had issues from time to time.



_________________
DNX9960
2004 Chevy Avalanche

Buy me a Beer Image
Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:53 am 

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 46
Well... confirmed it... the navigation rebooted itself, without the SD card even mounted.

I wonder if it's the same issue as before, where the whole unit restarted and is now more limited to just the navigation portion.

Or if it's a different issue... in that case, perhaps a combination of current kenwood firmware and previous garmin firmware would be a better combo.

But then again... I'm not up to hacking it to a previous firmware.

So, here's hoping Garmin puts out a new firmware and squeezes in a fix for this, somewhere.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:37 pm 

Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:41 am
Posts: 20
After installing the latest firmware and garmin update I started getting random reboots of Nav, as well. Radio keeps playing but maps do not reload. The dev info shows nv errors (nonvolatile memory?). Checks of available non volatile memory show drastic fluctuations from >1,500,000 to <20,000 available. I've unplugged my HD ecoroute to see if this helps. I think it is either r/t firmware or the Garmin update, or both.

Goobers wrote:
Well... confirmed it... the navigation rebooted itself, without the SD card even mounted.

I wonder if it's the same issue as before, where the whole unit restarted and is now more limited to just the navigation portion.

Or if it's a different issue... in that case, perhaps a combination of current kenwood firmware and previous garmin firmware would be a better combo.

But then again... I'm not up to hacking it to a previous firmware.

So, here's hoping Garmin puts out a new firmware and squeezes in a fix for this, somewhere.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 4:15 am 

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 46
t3b vat wrote:
After installing the latest firmware and garmin update I started getting random reboots of Nav, as well. Radio keeps playing but maps do not reload. The dev info shows nv errors (nonvolatile memory?). Checks of available non volatile memory show drastic fluctuations from >1,500,000 to <20,000 available. I've unplugged my HD ecoroute to see if this helps. I think it is either r/t firmware or the Garmin update, or both.

I don't have ecoroute, so I'm doubtful that's the cause (assuming you're having the same issue I am).

I haven't checked the dev info on my system since updating the firmware... but if what you're saying is correct, I think there's a corrupt portion of the firmware playing havoc with the system... most likely filling up the NVRAM, causing it to run out of room and crash (if you ever encounter 100% resource usage on your computer... it's likely to be followed by system lock up, ie crash).

It's possible that, prior to the recent update, the trouble with the navigation "spilled over" to the head unit, causing the whole thing to restart. That the recent firmware update (one or both) have managed to limit it to just the Garmin, but not completely stop it altogether.

Well, to point out a "silver lining"... having just the navigation reboot is preferable to having the whole unit reboot.

Hum... I wonder if it has anything to do with the detail level of the map. Maybe it's loading too much on higher detail levels?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 10:35 am 

Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:23 pm
Posts: 50
I updated mine with the latest Garmin code before fiddling with the maps and no problem with rebooting/restarting. Meanwhile, I purchased the official map update from Garmin, but I never managed to get them loaded on my SD card (the loader always ends up complaining about not knowing where to put them). So - maybe it is the maps you loaded?


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Garmin map update for 9980HD
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:17 pm 

Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:40 pm
Posts: 46
Roamer105 wrote:
I updated mine with the latest Garmin code before fiddling with the maps and no problem with rebooting/restarting. Meanwhile, I purchased the official map update from Garmin, but I never managed to get them loaded on my SD card (the loader always ends up complaining about not knowing where to put them). So - maybe it is the maps you loaded?


Nope, when I take my SD card out, its back to factory map info. But it still rebooted with the SD card out.

My unit didn't reboot for at least a week after updating, then it did it twice one day, once another and some days no reboot.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 Page 3 of 15 [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: