It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Upgraded to firmware 1.4
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:05 pm 

Asmara wrote:
I just updated mine recently. I used a Ridata 16x DVD -R and Roxio to burn a "data DVD". I had no problems with the unit reading the disk.

According to the firmware manual you can us -R/RW discs of either DVD or CD type. If you're using a DVD make sure you're not using a +R. I know I never pay attention to disc type anymore since just about everything will read both types of disc. Maybe the Kenwood is picky.

I was having some bluetooth issues and I thought it might have been related to me trying to figure out how to change the FM radio to Euro tuning(I tried a bunch of button combinations).

I decided to reinstall the firmware (I will note that the reinstall didn't actually seem to change anything like my euro tuning. I think the bluetooth issue was the phone).

Here's what happened.
    I inserted the DVD I burned. The unit said "disc read error"
    I selected "standby" on the touch screen. The system went into standby mode but didn't try to update.
    I went into settings and system info. It showed ver 1.4 and there was a box next to it that said upgrade firmware. I selected this and the firmware update started.

The point being, disc read error is OK for the firmware upgrade and has nothing to do with how you burned the disc.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:15 am 

I just updated my Kenwood DNX6960 to firmware 1.4 and thought I would inform you all of the information I got from Kenwood on this issue. I was unable to get the update to run no matter how many tries of burning the data to a dvd. I emailed kenwood and their response informed me that the cd/dvd needs to be burned through windows XP or 7 NOT VISTA. I have Vista on my laptop and had tried several times to no avail and, after receiving the email from kenwood, I tried from a computer at home which still runs Windows XP. First try, worked. I inserted the burned disc into my kenwood and it gave me a disc error, then put the receiver in standby, went into the tools (wrench) ..information .... software - next to the version I now had the update button available. Pressed update and waited about 25 mins and, voila, update successful.

Again, remember, Windows XP or Windows 7 .... NOT VISTA!!

Thanks to all who have posted here and gave me ideas to try.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:23 pm 

Asmara wrote:

Here's what happened.
    I inserted the DVD I burned. The unit said "disc read error"
    I selected "standby" on the touch screen. The system went into standby mode but didn't try to update.
    I went into settings and system info. It showed ver 1.4 and there was a box next to it that said upgrade firmware. I selected this and the firmware update started.

The point being, disc read error is OK for the firmware upgrade and has nothing to do with how you burned the disc.

Same here. Apparently "disc read error", especially if you have older firmware (the original?), simply means it can't find any audio or video files on the disc. No biggie. If its an update disc, that of course is true.

Last edited by Walt on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:48 pm 

I made a mistake in my original post .... prior to the update I was on version 1.1 and after the successful update I am now on version 1.4.

Now on to figure why I can't update the Garmin Navigation Software .... that's for another forum somewhere.

LOL

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:32 am 

NailGirl wrote:
Now on to figure why I can't update the Garmin Navigation Software .... that's for another forum somewhere.

I just did a full update yesterday. I just got a new notebook PC, which for the first time, having bluetooth, I was able to take such out to my car. I was holding off going any updating, until I could do all three.

I updated the Kenwood firmware, then Garmin, and finally bluetooth. It all worked for me.

Do you have the "GUPDATE.GCD" file in the "garmin" directory on your micro-SD card? Was such really an update (check your old ver number and make sure the new one, is higher)?

I put my unit into Standby, then pressed the "Nav" button. I then cleared the warning screens ("old maps" and "if you crash, its not our fault"). That is when I inserted the micro-SD card into the unit. It took a minute or 2, before the updated visibly started.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:31 pm 

Quote:
Walt Said .... Do you have the "GUPDATE.GCD" file in the "garmin" directory on your micro-SD card? Was such really an update (check your old ver number and make sure the new one, is higher)?

Hi Walt, thank you for your reply. I have checked my software and it says 2.5 and I looked at the GUPDATE.GCD and it also says 2.5. Not sure if I need the update as we purchased our unit in Dec09 and the update is as of April 11. In either case, I did as you said you did .... put my unit in Standby then select Nav and got passed the warning screen, put my micro SD card in and nothing happened ... I waited about 10 minutes (was waiting for my child to come out of an event ... lol).

Not sure what to do next.

Also, I was unaware that a bluetooth update is available ... can you direct me to where I can get that update from?

Thanks again

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:22 am 

NailGirl wrote:
Also, I was unaware that a bluetooth update is available ... can you direct me to where I can get that update from?

Kenwood doesn't make it easy. :cry:

Roughly...

• Go here: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/car_entertain ... nt/dnx6960
  • Select the "Downloads" tab
  • Select the middle link for "Firmware Updates Bluetooth"
  • Select your receiver ("DNX6", "DNX6960", "Include") then select any cell-phone (I pick "Motorola" and the newer "Droid 3")
  • Scroll down the bottom of the webpage and you should see a link for the Download of Version 4.00
  • Scroll down the bottom of the next webpage, check the box for "Agree", and then download the Instructions, the Tool, and the Update file itself

Hay, I said it would not be easy. :D

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2